Teignbridge Lock 1901
Teignbridge Lock (Stover Canal) 1901. Looking north. The Stover Canal (1 mile 7 furlongs) was built from the Teign Estuary to Ventiford by James Templer II in 1790-92. It continued in operation until 1936. The barges relied upon the tides and square "Viking" sails, but latterly were towed in the estuary by the steam tug "Kestrel" and finally by the paraffin engine "Heron".